Saturday, March 7, 2009

Basics and definitions

Given the vast experience I have obtained sometimes painfully, I thought it would behoove me to tell you some of the things I learned and what I tell my kids.

First of all, definitions: (to be added as I remember them)
Experience: the things you learn by doing things wrong
Mature: old enough to know better, but still willing to have experience
Vast: I keep getting experience even when I am not looking for it


Things I tell my kids when they leave the house: ( all the kids are married and launched, but they still come over)

Stay between the white line on one side and the dashy line on the other side
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down
Remember mass, momentum and inertia
Don't follow so close, don't drive so fast
No swerving and darting
I will buy your first car, (my choice) but you get to pay for maintenance and insurance

Other things which are good to know:
Righty tighty, lefty loosey
Always carry an emergency kit in the car
No texting while driving
If you can't remember the last five miles of road, stop and take a nap before you never see the next five miles
A cheater bar has many uses
When I tell you is time to change your timing belt, it is time to change your timing belt
Just because something costs more does not mean it is necessarily better
Unless it is unavoidable, try not to put new parts in used cars
If it was built by a man, it can probably be fixed by a man (or woman)
If it doesn't work, and you are told you need a new one rather than repairing the old one, you might as well take it apart and try to fix it yourself. You don't lose any money; after all they told you you needed a new one. If you fix it yourself, you learn something and it is much less expensive.
No matter how expensive the car is now, eventually it will end up in the junk yard. It is just a hunk of tin which you will replace. Treat it well so it will be serviceable, but don't worship it.

Things not related to cars:
Do work for others for free: they will be appreciative and will owe you.
Never expect to cash in those things you are owed.
Work for free or for full price. That way neither party will feel cheated.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I don't think I've heard all of these things, but I can see how they apply.

    I would like a post about the river axioms.

    ReplyDelete